Saturday, January 28, 2017

a poem about poetry

if i used my words
less cryptically 
maybe i'd reveal 
too much.

this throbbing,
raw wound
wouldn't be glorified
at all as 
beauty
and everyone might 
see the horror
and the agony
in loving
deeply 
the ones who've 
caused your pain.

maybe if i made 
myself
less a mystery
then people might 
understand more;
like the ones 
closest to me.

but i've realized 
in trying to understand
myself
that i don't want to be 
known by the wounds
others have made
or in the way
i deal with 
this pain.
because these things,
i've learned,
are not what define me.
and that,
is how the healing 
begins
in realizing that our
wounds are not 
in the slightest our
identity.

so maybe using cryptic
words to 
reveal this pain
is my desperate need
for honesty.
i am covered 
in the blood of 
these wounds 
that were left on me.
this burden is 
still 
so heavy 
that i cannot bear
to carry it alone,
for the agony.

he has shown me,
that though 
there is sorrow
for the 
pain
this is not 
at all where 
i am to stay.

i have the hope 
that one day
i can touch these
wounds 
and they will be
merely marks;
translucent
 scars.
then i will
be able to tell 
my story
in freedom
and i can let 
him be glorified
for the grace 
and mercy 
the redeemer 
has shown me.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for speaking. Perhaps you are a voice for those who also feel pain but cannot voice it.

    ReplyDelete