Saturday, January 28, 2017

for mamma

I see the strength in your eyes
blue like the sea
after a storm
when the rugged winds
threatened to destroy us;
calm like the rain
that brings hope to this dry,
broken land.

though you always tell me
you feel weak
what you don't know
is that you taught me
everything i know of
true strength and bravery.

i won't deny, 
i've seen your hands shake,
i was there
on the days your eyes
refused to stay dry
and your voice was a silent,
aching plea for the 
burden to be lifted off
your shoulders,
when you couldn't speak the 
words of exhaustion
for all the sorrows
your heart carried.

and those days,
they did change me.
maybe some innocence 
was lost for the grief
but it taught me that showing pain
is not the same as being weak.
and that is something,
that has sculpted me.

you think i don't know
how much this pain hurts you,
but i've seen you hurt for others enough
to know you feel this, too;
for you carry me with you.
your aching burden is not weakness,
though many see it that way,
they merely do not have the strength 
to love as deeply as you do.

when i was young, you'd hold me
when the night terrors 
came to frighten me,
you'd tell me stories of 
a savior 
who calmed the seas,
you spoke to me of his wings
and how his feathers covered me;
those were the first marks 
his love left on my heart.
i wish you knew that
those are the verses 
that i still carry, always.

in a world full of pain and sorrow
where it's impossible to venture out
beyond the safety of youth
without 
being wounded by this worlds
brokenness,
i'm so thankful you gave me
the truth to guide me.
though you couldn't protect me,
from everything,
you taught me of the love of 
our messiah,
who is the greatest healer.
and that, is the most valuable
thing.

i mean it when i say, 
you're the strongest woman 
i've ever known.


2 comments:

  1. Straight to the heart. Put into words perfectly <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I don't have words, but that is our mama.

    ReplyDelete